Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Discovering new poets...

Overs

It seems almost unimportant
when you put it like that.
Just so many sheets laid end to end,
so many cups of coffee.

- Andrew Darlington

Premonition of civil war

A tree branch caught
in a street lamps light.
A hanging capitalist.

- Andrew Darlington

in Your Friendly Fascist no. 8 c. 1972

Yesterday I was reading Andrew Darlington's poems in old editions of Your Friendly Fascist, a Sydney based poetry magazine edited by Rae Desmond Jones and John Edwards throughout the 1970s and into the 1980s. Edwards moved to the UK and so the magazine includes a number of international writers, including Andrew Darlington. I googled Darlington and found what I thought was his blog, he kindly emailed me back and confirmed that he is the one and same Andrew Darlington who was publishing in Your Friendly Fascist in the 1970s. Darlington blogs about music, books and poetry here.

3 comments:

  1. I came across this by accident. I was the editor of YOUR FRIENDLY FACIST. A selected version oif the magazine is about to be produced (in the next week or so) by Rochfors Street Review (on line) - including Andrew.

    In view of the subject of your thesis, I thought I would let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on facebook, or raedeejay@optusnet.com.au if you wish to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. Your appreciation is very much appreciated. Wonderful to still qualify under the category 'Discovering New Poets...'!
    And yes, Tristan Tzara was a pretty cool guy...
    andydarlington@talktalk.net

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments...