Thursday, April 12, 2012

New in the mail...

Image from Shearsman Books


Laurie Duggan's new book of poetry, The Pursuit of Happiness, arrived in the mail yesterday. I really enjoy Duggan's poems and style - his observations, wit, breavity, and word play. I have only had a chance to glimpse the first few pages, but I have already found lines to make me smile.

cement slabs, on which
black-faced sheep forage

the explosive factory
blew up in 1916

(from "Angles 1-18")


Milan

1
avoid places the guide books describe as 'bohemian'
only the northern edge of Brera begins to feel like real people
live there

2
the sparrows are smaller than English sparrows
but the pigeons and blackbirds are the same size

3
in Veronese's 'Last Supper'
everyone appears drunk

4
Medardo Rosso sculpts
like wax melts

5
Ball's 'Dog on a leash'
just about describes the Quadrilatero d'Oro

6
the Stazione Centrale is under wraps
the futurists have abandoned the city


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. I'm quite taken by 4. Look forward to reading more. xx

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments...