Thursday, April 5, 2012

Reading...

Reading: A Small Greek World: Networks in the Ancient Mediterranean by Irad Malkin.

I haven't changed my thesis topic, I am still looking at new Australian poets, but I am also looking at the networks that contribute to the formation of a literary generation. As such, I have been reading up on social network theory for models that provide a way to move beyond binary representations or centre-periphery models. Malkin's book offers a way to examine decentralised and non-hierarchical networks, and while his focus is obviously on the ancient Mediterranean, chapter one offers a great introduction to network analysis (thanks Martin for lending this to me!).

There is a new review on the Australian Poetry Review site on John Leonard's Young Poets: An Australian Anthology (2011).

And Friday night Sam and I went and saw Bombshells at the Queensland Performing Arts Center. Sam's review of the performance has been published on M/C Reviews.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! When I was looking at which poets "belonged" to the "generation of '68", so much seemed to be about geography/place and who knew who - in addition to the modernist aesthetics debate that John Tranter got caught up in.

    In particular, I'd be very interested to see in what ways social network theory can help to account for the marginalisation of female poets of this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,
    I think a network approach would certainly be a way to begin accounting for the lack of female representation in the anthologies, poetry magazines and poetry readings of the time.

    I am most interested in how we go from no "generation" to having a "generation", the way the networks and connections can be traced that help establish the generation (or at least the idea of one).

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments...