Monday, July 9, 2012

Week ending...




Photographs of Montsalvat

The Melbourne "Revealing the Reader" symposium was fantastic. As was getting to the Napoleon exhibition at the NGV, the Heide gallery and also the Montsalvat artist colony. While we were at the Heide gallery we saw a photograph of Montsalvat being built and looked it up on own phones and realised it was only 15 minutes drive from the Heide gallery. So we went exploring. Hidden away in Eltham is Australia's oldest artist colony, uniquely built with French Provincial cottages and neo-gothic architecture (including a Great hall and a Mead hall with salvaged stain glass windows). Built in the 1930s, Montsalvat is still home to practicing artists, and has several galleries as well as a chapel, and we were lucky enough to spy a wedding while we were there. It would be a beautiful place to rent a loft, write a thesis, and take breaks in the 12 acres of gardens while roaming about with the peacocks.

Today my cold and I are flying to Adelaide for the AHA Connections conference. I've stocked up on cold and flu tablets and packed layers of clothes, but it looks as if it will be a cloudy, rainy, and cold week there. I present my paper tomorrow and hope to explore Adelaide some before I come home on Saturday. My list of things to do includes the Adelaide gallery and museum, the Adelaide uni library (research for my thesis), and Ken Bolton's Dark Horsey bookstore

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I hope the cold doesn't last as long as the conference does and I do hope you get some time to explore Adelaide, rain or shine. I think you should buy yourself a treat for staying in a back packers! Maybe something from Ken's store? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulous! I've never heard of this place before - thanks Fiona :)
    Hope your cold passes very very quickly and that things go well in Adelaide. Kx

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments...